Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Influences

"I now know, by an almost fatalistic conformity with the facts, that my destiny is to travel." ~Che Guevara

With all the excitement and anxiety building up as my departure for Korea edges closer (now only 6 days away), I can't help but take the time to acknowledge my influences. I will be thinking about their words my whole trip. Perhaps it was fate, mere coincidence, or my mind subconsciously making decisions for me on what to read and watch, but the last half year has been filled with a calling to travel. To those bored with the familiar I definitely recommend the following:

-Legionnaire by Simon Murray
-The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara
-Walden by Henry David Thoreau
-All of Jack Kerouac's writings

-Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and his books
-Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern
-Wild America
-Into the Wild
-127 Hours

With most of the USA already explored (with the exception of Alaska, Florida, and Maine), I'm ready to travel internationally as a young adult. I remember very little of my travels as an elementary school boy, so I really consider this my first true travel abroad. Hopefully my journey will be half as entertaining as those experienced in the works above.

No comments:

Post a Comment