Monday, May 30, 2011

Athletic Nationalism


Sunday - 08 May 2011

Day 76


I love soccer. All my life. I love American football too, but nothing compared to the greatness of soccer.


Ever since I began following the international game, all the different leagues around the world, along with the major international tournaments, I have always been jealous of Brasil. I guess you could add the big European powerhouses of Germany, Italy, Spain, and England…but still nothing close to Brasil. They are worldclass, and people fear them on the field. I'm sure fellow futebol fans will argue with me on this one, but I still think (over the course of all soccer's history) that Brasil is the best national team, and has produced the best exported players.


I was always sad that America didn't have anything like that when it came to the sports I followed. But after following some of the East Asian professional sports, I have seen American athletes in that same "Brasilian" light. Just walking around Seoul day to day, I see so many Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, and Indians hats, jackets and shirts. There is more Yankees clothing here than Manchester United or any other European soccer club. When you watch Korean-League baseball or basketball, it is the few exported American players that are feared and respected. Just like the Brasilians of soccer, we have the aura of being top players.


There's not much more to say about this phenomenon, except that witnessing people's love and respect for American athletes has definitely made me more proud (and perhaps cocky) in being American. We still maybe be on the lower ranking when it comes to soccer, but at least we have basketball and baseball down (I don't count the sports that most of the world doesn't play).


America! F' YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment